Wednesday, 6 February 2008

A Naively Symbolic Lenten Gesture

Fresh from positing this piece of theological and intellectual pablum, in which he gives the examples of David and Jonathon, and Jesus and his 'beloved disciple' as examples of same-sex love, and never quite gets around to acknowledging there is absolutely no Biblical evidence to indicate that either relationship was at all erotic or sexual, the Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt Rev James Jones, has joined with
the Bishop of London, the Rt Rev Richard Chartres, to put forth the idea of a "Carbon Fast" for Lent.
This year (parishioners) will be asked to think about their own carbon footprint and follow a few simple steps designed to help cut CO2 emissions. They include:
* avoiding plastic bags
* giving the dishwasher a day off
* insulating the hot water tank
* checking the house for drafts with a ribbon and buying draught excluders

Those taking part in the Carbon Fast will be asked to remove one lightbulb from a prominent place in the home and live without it for 40 days.

Now, I am not here denying that there is climate change. It seems to be a fact. Nor am I trying to debate whether or not, or how much is attributable to human causes.

But I have mentioned this before, and it has something to do with the plank in one's own eye.

I wonder how many plastic bags it takes to heat the good bishop's own cathedral or if anyone has actually gone through the whole place checking for drafts with a ribbon.

Forgive me, but it's just that I see the "holier than thou" elites calling on all the "little people out there" to make sacrifices when they themselves don't do all they can personally to save the sky they hysterically claim is falling.

Don't get me wrong. I turn off my truck when I go into the store, I live in a house that is so well insulated and with south-facing windows that on a sunny day, even at -20, the furnace doesn't come on all day. And believe me, if I could ensure that all the beef I eat would come from cows that don't pass greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, I surely would.

But I still wonder when Al Gore is going to move from his "twenty-times-the-energy-consumption-of-the-average-house" house
into a two bedroom condo.

Take Care

h/t to The MCJ.

No comments: