Monday, 14 January 2008

Challies on Biblical Inerancy

Tim Challies has put together a helpful series of articles on Biblical inerrancy.
What exactly is inerrancy? Tim covers it quite nicely by quoting Wayne Grudem:
Of the few definitions or attempts at definition that I found, Wayne Grudem’s definition in his Systematic Theology seemed most clear. Here is a solid working definition of inerrancy: “The inerrancy of Scripture means that Scripture in the original manuscripts does not affirm anything that is contrary to fact.” It is that simple.

but then he gives his own definition which I thought was even more concise and to the point:

So what we affirm in this definition, is that a perfect God moved human authors, by His Spirit, to perfectly transcribe what He wanted to communicate.

You can access all the posts here

In one of the articles, Tim addresses the matter of approximate numbers. I remember being involved in an on-line discussion on 1 Kings 7:23,

He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.

Skeptics were taking this verse overly literally (it's funny how a non-believer with an axe to grind suddenly believes in taking the Bible literally) and quibbling about the value of Pi.

I remember giving two possible answers in keeping with the silly level to which I felt the debate had sunk. First of all, I said, just because it took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it doesn't mean there wasn't some left over at the end of the line. It would be like me saying I measured my 100 foot property with a three foot yardstick.

My second suggested solution was that perhaps they used a rubber line and stretched it to fit.

God always supplies an answer for every objection.

Take Care

No comments: