Tuesday, 13 February 2007

Anna Nicole

Almost too much has been written about Anna Nicole Smith and the tragedy that was her life in the last few days, but I have a few thoughts that did not coalesce until today. I may not be able to contribute anything new, or anything worthwhile, but there are a few things I must say. First of all, I must point out that Here is the post on Anna Nicole that I wish I had written. I encourage you to read it.

I watched a segment on Entertainment Tonight the other night in which co-host Mark Steines was proud to have been the last person to interview Anna Nicole. Watching the interview at the time with my wife I was greatly saddened. The interview was the usual Hollywood fluff complete with hugs, air kisses and inconsequential sycophantic banter. But we both noticed that Anna Nicole was clearly not right. I will not judge whether it was stress, or depression, or overindulgence in drugs of some kind, or alcohol, but she seemed clearly, to put it rather bluntly, “spaced out.”

The sad thing is that Mr Steines did not seem to acknowledge her condition. He just carried smilingly and ingratiatingly with the usual small talk of celebrity interviews. Did he not notice? Did he not care? Did he feel awkward. Did his “professionalism” demand that he carry on with the interview without asking her if she was OK? Is this kind of condition so “normal” in Hollywood circles that it is not considered unusual any more? I found it a sad commentary. Here was a beautiful yet vulnerable person who was clearly in need of help and no one seemed to care.

But then I consider myself and realize how unqualified I am to judge anyone in this matter. Because Anna Nicole in the interview reminded me of another poor and vulnerable woman I wrote about in another post, here. Her manner, her condition and her speech were uncannily similar.

I think of the Apostle Paul’s words in Romans chapter 7:
I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! (Rom 7:18-24a)


The words ring in my mind and convict my conscience, “What a wretched man I am!” I too was in a position to help, and I didn’t. Or I convinced myself there was nothing I could do.

And who among us hasn’t been in that very position. Looking back do we remember times and events in our pasts where we have been the opportunity to help, or intervene, but being too afraid, too shy, or too unsure of what to do, we “passed by on the other side of the road.”

I don’t know if anyone ever shared the gospel with Anna Nicole, or if so, if she received it. I don’t know if she ever realized that the relationship she so desperately seemed to crave was the one above all others; the one available to her with God, her Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ.

These things I do not know. And having said that, I don’t know what more to write.

Take Care

No comments: