Tuesday, 30 January 2007

They Still Haven't Found What They're Looking For

"U2-charist": Bono moves in mysterious ways

Here’s a church where they may be singing, “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”, but it seems to me that maybe they should sing, to paraphrase Amazing Grace “Now we’ve lost what once was found.” Or perhaps, “We’ve lost what was once for all delivered to the saints”. I don’t know if they are trying to be relevant or if they really think there is some true Christian significance to U2”s music. I don’t know which is more pitiful. If they want to call it a concert, well OK, but a church service? A communion service? Please!

I don’t know if the aforementioned church is one of them (I may be doing them a disservice with this post), but I shake my head at churches that scurry around in all directions like little insects, trying to find ways to attract and keep people. Searching for relevance. Considering compromise after compromise.

Here's a novel suggestion. How about the truth? Proclaim Jesus boldly and exclusively. Offer Jesus plainly, clearly and with open hands, and those with ears to hear will hear. Those who will come will come. Just like you’re introducing a friend to a friend. I know. I’ve been a member of an Anglican Church (link below) that does it, and it’s full every Sunday. Or how about another? J.I. Packer’s church, St. John's Shaughnessy . There are some good ones still around.

It shouldn’t be a numbers game. Not everyone will receive the message enthusiastically. They didn’t even in Jesus’ time when they met him face to face, as in the case of the rich young ruler and many religious officials. But I’ve seen it time and again, in my time with the Alpha Course (link below). When Jesus and his Gospel message are presented plainly, when the Word of God is proclaimed clearly and considerately, and when answers are given with gentleness and respect, people’s eyes are opened. I’ve had so many people say to me, “Oh, I see it now… It all makes so much sense.”

Unbiblical gimmicks are not necessary.

Take Care

No comments: