Friday, 9 December 2016

Forgive Me, But I Have To Ask

The picture to the right is of an alleged hate crime committed in one of Edmonton's LRT stations against two Muslim women wearing hijabs. It is supposed to have occurred Nov 8, but did not become public until about a month later. This picture is ostensibly a screen shot taken from a cell phone video taken of the incident by one of the women.

Apparently, this guy pulled a rope out of his pocket, fashioned a noose, pointed to it, as in the picture, and said, "This is for you." Then he launched into 'Oh Canada,' all the while, I suppose, having the entire performance caught on camera. The picture and story went viral, as they say, and police were asking for help in identifying the culprit.

That was two or three days ago. The following day police announced they had a suspect in custody. Since then, the story seems to have dried up.

Why? Why have we heard nothing more? Why have we not been told the name of the suspect? Why have we not seen the entire video?

It occurred to me, right from the beginning, that there was way more to this story than what the vast majority of Facebook posters hysterically assumed was classic Islamophobia. I just don't think it seems like something someone in their right mind would do. In my mind, there are two possibilities; either the guy is mentally ill, dementia perhaps, or the whole thing was staged. It has happened before.

I was suspicious about even this above-linked incident from the beginning. First of all, who, being physically attacked, thinks to take the time to pull out their phone and begin recording it? Wouldn't one's first instinct be to turn away or at least defend oneself? It turns out I believe, although I don't think it was reported in the mainstream media, that this alleged assaulter was herself a Muslim woman, from Iran. The whole incident screamed of phoniness. In any case, the story quickly left the news - no account of the charges, a trial or a verdict. It may be too early to tell, but is the same thing happening in this latest incident?

What has this got to do with the subject of this blog, you may ask.

Well, it just got me thinking. As a Christian, I believe everyone should be treated in a civil manner; treated, to paraphrase Jesus, in the way we would like to be treated ourselves. And treated equally. But if the perpetrator of these so-called hate crimes had been proven to be a fundamentalist Christian, for instance, I suspect that fact would be all over social media, television news and print media. So the silence in this latter case is deafening.

As I said, I don't believe this is something that anyone in their right mind would do, so there must be some other explanation.

I'd just like to hear it.

Take Care

PS: If it turns out I am mistaken in my opinion here, I will issue an apology on this very blog, but let's just wait and see.

PPS: I see police have, with little fanfare, released said suspect without charges, which only serves to heighten my curiosity. It would be nice to hear, as a popular radio personality used to say, "... the rest of the story."

No comments: