Thursday, 4 February 2016

I Took a Test

 
 
Someone linked to this online test on Facebook, so I decided, out of curiosity, to try it. When I reached the end, I was asked either to phone a 1-900 number for the result, or to pay 7 dollars by credit card. Being a bit of a cheapskate, I declined. "Quelle surprise," then, when it actually showed up on my Facebook page anyway. The number is a bit higher than I expected; back in my school days I was told my IQ was in the mid 130's, so either I'm gaining intelligence with age, it was an easier test, or I was better at guessing. 
 
But why am I posting it here?
 
I am posting it to say you can be intelligent and be a Christian. I am posting it here only to say to people of intelligence that you don't have to abandon your brains to accept the reality and the truth of the Christian faith. Look over to the left. You will see my statement of belief. You may recognize much of it as based on the Apostles' Creed. Those are not mere fuzzy and comforting thoughts of a philosophy of life. It is what I firmly believe, and believe to the point of certainty.
 
Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and their ilk would have us believe that atheists have a lock on rationality and critical thinking ability. I'm here to say that is not the case. In fact, I believe, just the opposite; I believe that atheists have not thought critically enough. In 2013, Alpha, in Alberta, Canada was part of an initiative to see 30,000 people in that Province participate in an Alpha course. The target was met, and the tag line of that campaign was, "Question Everything." I remember seeing, on an atheist discussion board at the time, the comment, "If everyone questioned everything there would be a lot more atheists." My immediate thought was, and still is, "No - there would probably be a lot fewer." 
One of my favourite Bible verses is not one of the usual favourites, but it is 1 Thessalonians 5:21:
...but test everything; hold fast what is good.
If you like, check out some of my posts on atheism or atheists, linked to on the left. See what you think.
 
In the meantime, as per the Apostle Paul, lest my posting this seem as a boast,
Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord (2 Corinthians 10:17), or
 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. (2 Corinthians 11:30)
Take Care

John

No comments: