Thursday, 12 March 2015

Question For Jehovah's Witnesses

I'm sitting in a Tim Horton's in Ponoka Alberta. I called on 4 churches this morning and hope to see three more this afternoon. But right now it's lunchtime - time for my usual $5.95 lunch; chilli and a bun with coffee.

I'm not sure how this thought came to me, but here it is: from time to time I have JW's come to my door. I think they keep coming back because I take their literature.

One thing I have wondered is how they reconcile Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,...   ...and he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting (Eternal, in the NWT) Father, Prince of Peace.
 I should have thought that verse would have given them enough trouble, considering their non-belief in the divinity of Christ, so I asked the gentleman at the door how, when this verse was generally accepted as referring to the birth of Jesus, what they think of the Bible referring to him (even in their own New World Translation) as, "Father."

"No problem," he answered, "Jesus is the everlasting father."

Well, I shook my head over that one because I still don't see how that fits with their theology. But sitting here at Tim's, another verse came to my mind; Matthew 23:9
"...do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one father and he is in heaven."
So - another verse for them to reconcile. How can they, indeed, how can Isaiah, refer to Jesus as father unless Jesus is indeed God. If he is not, then they, and their own Bible, are disobedient to him.

I have not thought this entirely through, so I am open to receiving instruction or clarification on this, but I thought it made interesting food for thought.

Take Care
 

No comments: