Monday, 2 July 2012

Walking the Bible and Knowing God

I have been reading an intersting book, Walking the Bible, by Jewish author Bruce Feiler. It is Feiler's telling of his odyssey by foot, Jeep, rowboat, camel and horse, retracing the steps of his ancient ancestors throughout the first five books of the Bible. I say the book is interesting, and that is all I will say. I will recommend it as reading, I actually quite enjoyed it, but there are areas in which a Reformed Christian, such as myself, will disagree theologically. Having said that, it contains an interesting quote attributed to Israel Hershkovitz, a professor at Tel Aviv University,
"Science is never going to prove the divine, but it's never going to disprove it either."
I thought it was a very good quote, and it started me thinking. As I have heard elsewhere, "God is more known than proven." And that is the case. There is much evidence, in my opinion, for the existence of God, and very little evidence against it. But that is not the atheist's point. An atheist like Dawkins, for instance, might present all the evidence he likes, but it is not evidence that God does not exist. It is, in his mind, evidence that God is unnecessary. And any evidence a Christian might present cannot be, in my opinion, ignored as, "not evidence," but merely as not acceptable evidence to the atheist.

Unfortunately, in my experience, and as one may see by comments on various posts throughout this blog, many discussions with atheists degrade, on the atheists part, into angry rants filled with profanity and strawman pictures such as rotting corpses in tombs and old magic men in the sky.

But in the end, God is unknowable except for personal revelation of Himself, by Himself. But He has also promised that any who seek will find, and in that way He has given every person a fair chance to come to know Him.
.
Take Care

1 comment:

Nicky said...

I guess the problem is the same as it always has been; the Apostle John summed it up best:
"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil." John 3:19