Monday, 9 January 2012

Political Correctness - Nothing New

I heard, I believe on Michael Coren's show, that at a particular school 'holiday' concert, the tune (no words, mind you) of Silent Night was not allowed to be played on a flute because it was too overtly Christian and might offend some people. Is this going too far?

I am reading the book, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet,Martyr, Spy. In a quote from page 175,
One Nazi leader sent the Gestapo a letter complaining that the melody to the hymn, "Jerusalem, Thou City High and Fair" was played at memorial services for the German war dead. There were no offensive words,... but even to evoke the memory of the words was unacceptable. The well known hymn... had been played at German memorial services for many years...
This is the precedent for the kind of liberal thinking that to mention anything even hinting of Christianity might offend someone, and it may be, I fear, the kind of society we could be heading for if these attitudes are carried through to their logical conclusion.

I know it somewhat of a cliche to evoke the spectre of Nazism, but, well, I'm not sayin' ya know. I'm just sayin'.

Take Care

No comments: