Monday, 9 January 2012

Alpha Stories, Peace in the Midst of the Storm

I have asked my Alpha contacts to send me some, "Alpha Stories," some experiences various people have had connected with the Alpha course. Here is one, edited for length and, in the absence of permission to do otherwise, with names and locations deleted.
...I got to work last Friday with a dull ache in my jaw which soon spread to my chest and arms. ...I googled "heart attack" and found my symptoms and made the dicision to call 911.

What I remember about the experience is not so much the pain, but more the shock of giving up control of my body to the paramedics...

At the... hospital emergency room they treated me with nitroglycerin which did not work so they packed my into a second ambulance and away we went again to... (another) hospital. ...as I looked out the rear windows at the sky and clouds passing by, I thought that it is in God's hands now. ...I felt a great peace of mind which I cannot explain except that it must have been the touch of the Holy Spirit. I never once even considered the possibility that I might not make it.
The writer goes on to say that the doctors found the problem and solved it by means of an angioplasty. He then concludes...
When I came to the Alpha course I was a bit of an illiterate Christian. sharing this course with all of you has really helped me find a relationship with Jesus. I am sure that his hand was guiding all of those wonderful people who helped me that day. I truly feel like a miracle has occurred in my life, the way things turned out, and I will thank God every day for His blessing upon me and those I love.
His story brought to my mind the following Scripture,
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; (Isaiah 43: 2-3a)
Take Care

No comments: