Monday, 14 February 2011

I Love This Song

Sunday nights I go to Bethesda Christian Fellowship in Edmonton. They have one of the best worship bands I know. One of my favourite songs they do is this one. I thought it might have been an original with them, but apparently not. Here is a version of it performed by the band who wwrote it, the Desperation Band. It is quite inspiring to be part of a congregation of a couple of hundred people singing this. Watch and listen to the whole thing.

Seated above, enthroned in the Father's love
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
God's only son perfect and spotless one
He never sinned, but suffered as if he did

All authority, every victory is Yours
All authority, every victory is Yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory, worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever,awesome and great is Your name,You overcame

Power in hand speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land

We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb
and the word of our testimony, everyone overcome

Desperation Band Overcome lyrics are property and copyright of it's owners.

Take Care

8 comments:

Warren said...

You aren't becoming a closet Arminian are you? :-)

The music is of high quality at out church (PCA), but I miss the praise and worship I grew up with as a kid. Presbyterians can't bring themselve to clap let alone really enter into a worship song.

Interestingly, our last church, which is Christian Reformed, was on the cutting edge of all the latest praise and worship music. Not something you see much in reformed circles.

Warren said...

Heh, just noticed that Desperation Band came out of New Life Church, which is just up the street from us in Colorado Springs. They have 10-12,000 people show up each week and we haven't been inclined to check it out. They got a bit of bad press with the whole Ted Haggard affair.

John K said...

Hi Warren,
Hey, I didn't know Arminius wrote that song!:)

Warren said...

Not that one I guess, but others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwfu2TIjcM&feature=related

I'm not sure Calvinists would approve - although they might agree that Arminian arguments do sound like grunting. 8-/

Warren said...

I finally listened to the whole song without distractions. I agree with your assessment.

John K said...

Thanks Warren,
By the way, what was it that made you think of Arminianism?

Warren said...

Nothing to do with the song. Does Bethesda Christian Fellowship not have Pentecostal connections? (I grew up in the PAOC.)

John K said...

Yes, I think Bethesda is Pentacostal, although I believe they call themselves non-denominational. From the teaching I have heard on Sunday nights, I would say they acknowledge that no one comes to God on his own. It is God who initiates and completes salvation. I would also say they hold to the perseverance of the saints (eternal security). Their style of worship and taste in music is somewhat (but not much) more charismatic, but not much different that the Anglican church I attend on Sunday mornings