Thursday, 25 November 2010

How Long, O LORD...?

Some of my freinds in the Anglican Network may be feeling rather devastated over the recent court decision against them in BC regarding their church buildings and property. The BC decision may well, and probably will be, used as a precedent in lawsuits in other areas. I won't get into a great discussion of the issues here. I have made my thoughts clear. But for any who feel betrayed; for any who feel unjustly treated, by their former church or by the courts, I have been thinking of Habakkuk, and offer the following excerpts:

A plea...
Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted. (Hab 1: 3-4)

The LORD's answer...
...watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.(5b)

Another plea...
LORD, are you not from everlasting? Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing. Why then do you tolerate the treacherous? Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves? (12a, 13)

And again, the LORD's answer
"Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it.
For still(E) the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. (2:2b-3)

Then follow a number of woes which may or may not apply. I leave it to the reader to decide for himself.

But then the assurance...
The LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him. (v20)

And finally the author's own prayer of trust and confidence.
Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. (3:17-18)

Read the whole book. It's only three chapters. Read it again, and rejoice at what the LORD will do.

Take Care

No comments: