Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Stupid? Sad? Ridiculous?

All of the above?
From Stand Firm

Hartford (Connecticut) City Council To Begin With Muslim Prayers
The Council announced Tuesday that it has invited local imams to perform Islamic invocations at the beginning of the Council meetings in September.
An e-mail from the Common Council called it "an act of solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters."
The email even referenced the ongoing issue in New York. "One of the goals of the Council is to give a voice to the many diverse peoples of the City, which is especially important given the recent anti-Islam events throughout the country."
"I feel it is very important that, as a Council, we project a culture of inclusiveness in the City of Hartford. Too often it is our differences that divide us. In my opinion, it is our combination of differences that makes us strong," Winch said.

A couple of points from the comments:
1. From a Christian perspective, Muslims are not our brothers or sisters. We may have Muslim friends or neighbours, but, aside of course from our secular families, only fellow members of the Body of Christ are our true brothers and sisters.
2. Hopefully the ACLU and all other secular, "separation of church and state" advocates will be all over this. They certainly would be if the council meetings began with Christian prayers.

Take Care

5 comments:

Warren said...

I'm willing to take this at face value. Some well meaning politicians see some of their constituents being tarred by a very wide brush that is trying to cast all Muslims in a negative light - and want to demonstrate that they are not of a like mind. If the majority of commenters on SF think it is a bad idea, that is enough for me to take the other position without giving things further thought.

John K said...

Some well meaning politicians...
You mean well meaning like Neville Chamberlain? I may be wrong but I sense a real attitude of appeasement in this case, like, "if we are nice to them maybe they won't hurt us."
Don't get me wrong, I'm not tarring all Muslims with the same brush. But I think it's possible to bend so far over backwards that we lose our balance.
This guy in Florida, for instance, who plans to burn Qurans, is totally out of line, I believe. What he is doing is totally un-Biblical, un-Christian and inflammatory. I agree that he is probably putting people, both military and civilian, in harm's way. And to what end? Just to make a point that is more political than religious. Jesus never called on anyone to burn other people's religious texts. The only incidence of book-burning in the NT was people, who had been converted, burning their own things. I suppose if he invited former Muslims to burn their own Qurans, that would be OK.

BTW, I gather you and SF are not on the best of terms.

Warren said...

John, how do you get from international diplomacy (i.e. Chamberlain) to promoting positive community relations? For your analogy to work, Muslims living in Hartford (who may be no more organized than the church congregation you are part of) would need to have some equivalency with Hitler and the Nazi regime that was vigorously preparing for an offensive war. I can't connect those dots.

John K said...

Hi Warren,
I must admit I am making a bit of an assumption, taking this gesture as motivated by appeasement rather than community relations. But it was in that light I was making my comparison to Chamberlain. If I am wrong, then so be it, but it seems to me that in the public/political arena there is as much, if not more anti Christian regulation these days than anti Muslim. As the article points out, they have already eliminated any kind of prayer from their meetings. They may never have had any at all, but my guess would be that at one time in the distant past they may have opened their meetings with a Christian prayer, but did away with it for what I would imagine were reasons of political correctness, whether forced to by someone like the ACLU or not. And if not in the particular case of the City of Hartford, then certainly in many others. And if they have eliminated Christian prayer, why should Muslim prayer have any special treatment?

Warren said...

John, I frequently hear people talking about anti Christian regulation, but it seems to me that we still have it pretty good compared to Christians in most places around the world. If preachers can preach with megaphones on residential streets in Toronto, despite objections from the residents, things can't be that bad. It seems to me that some Christians are suffering from a persecution complex or victim mentality. I believe that the gates of hell will not prevail against Christ's Church - even though that many not mean exactly what I want it to mean.