Sunday, 28 March 2010

C.S. Lewis on Democracy

From here...

I am a democrat because I believe in the Fall of Man. I think most people are democrats for the opposite reason. A great deal of democratic enthusiasm descends from the ideas of people like Rousseau, who believed in democracy because they thought mankind so wise and good that everyone deserved a share in the government… The real reason for democracy is just the reverse. Mankind is so fallen that no [one] man can be trusted with unchecked power over his fellows. Aristotle said that some people were only fit to be slaves. I do not contradict him. But I reject slavery because I see no men fit to be masters. (parentheses mine, JK)

A wonderful quote. I think it speaks for itself. No need to add anything to it.

Take Care.

1 comment:

David said...

Yes, wonderful quote.