Monday, 3 November 2008

When Will They Ever Learn?...

...or at least admit that the sexualization of our children is having disastrous results?
Study: Sex on TV linked to teen pregnancies
The RAND Corp. study is the first of its kind to identify a link between teenagers’ exposure to sexual content on TV and teen pregnancies. The study, released Monday and published in the November edition of the journal Pediatrics, found that teens exposed to high levels of sexual content on television were twice as likely to be involved in a pregnancy in the following three years as teens with limited exposure.
Wow, quel surprise!

“We were surprised to find this link,” said Anita Chandra, the study’s lead author and a behavioral scientist at RAND,...
Oh, really?

“This might surprise people, but sitcoms had the highest sexual content,”
Surprise? I don't think so. Think, 'Friends' or 'Will & Grace' for starters. And that's not even counting what's on today. I'm afraid I don't keep up, but it seems to me it's getting more and more blatant. I never watched the two shows I just mentioned, but a while ago a I started to watch an episode of "Scrubs" and found it disgusting. A priest at a former church mentioned from the pulpit how much he liked 'Friends,' and I could only shake my head. (Neither he nor I are now at that church). How could someone who names the name of Christ, and is supposed to be preaching it, enjoy regularly watching a show that glorifies immoral lifestyles, and boast about it?

This has long been a concern of mine. When my own daughters were young it was Madonna and explicit rap lyrics. Now I have only to be concerned for my grandchildren.

But this issue is infused with the greatest hypocrisy imaginable. I remember shaking my head at Madonna leading the fight against AIDS, while everything she did professionally seemed determined to promote the very behaviour that led to its spread. So, I am sure, it is with the current producers of this overtly sexual material. They are probably in the forefront of movements calling for more sex education, the fight against AIDS, the fight against child poverty, etc., all the while pumping out material that directly contradicts their words. Why don't they include proper sex education in their shows if they are so concerned? Probably because neither proper sexual morality, nor a frank and genuine discussion of sexual issues, is very funny.

But they themselves are laughable.

Thus endeth the rant.

Take Care

No comments: