Saturday, 1 November 2008

What's In My CD Player

Daughtry - Crashed

And then I crashed into you,
And I went up in flames.
Could've been the death of me,
But then you breathed your breath in me.
And I crashed into you,
Like a runaway train.
You will consume me,
But I can't walk away.

I've been listening to Daughtry lately. It took a while of hearing him on the radio before I really caught on to whom it was I was listening. The older I get, the further I get behind (not in the sense of 'supporting,' but, 'lagging') current pop culture. but I still like my music fairly heavy from time to time. This CD has been out for a couple of years now, but is still getting radio play.

Chris Daughtry acknowledges Christ as his Saviour on the CD jacket, and with this in mind, I wondered about the spiritual meaning of this song, which I particularly like. These lyrics remind me of my own salvation experience, with one notable exception. I wasn't exactly moving at the speed of sound, and I didn't exactly crash into God. I was just sort of ambling along and bumped into Him.

But it's still the same thing. We find God only because He is there. And He's there only because He puts Himself there. In other words, the unsaved person doesn't find God, can't find God, even if he insists he is looking for Him. It is God who does the 'finding'. The one who does not yet know God is still stumbling directionless in the dark until God Himself brings him into the light.

But as I have said in other places, God placed Himself in front of me, at a particular time, and in a partular place, and under particular circumstances, exactly according to His good pleasure. And suddenly, instantly, everything was different. And I knew it was different. I was in a new place, and I was taken completely by surprise. This new place was not something I could have invented, made up or even dreamed of. But it began to dawn on me that in this new place I was a child of God, where before, in the old place, I wasn't. And one thing a child of God realizes is that before he was in this place, before God breathed His breath into him, he could never have imagined what it would be like.

Having said all that, I am convicted just how poorly I share the wonders of this new place with those around me who are not yet in it. May God widen my own vision, and may I make the effort to step out in faith to reach those who need to hear.

Take Care

3 comments:

Dave Groff said...

John,

Thanks for that on a number of levels. I had never heard of the artist or the song, but I like it! Great words and music. I also appreciate your testimony and reminder of how it is God who finds us and not the other way around. My testimony is quite a bit different than yours. I was raised in a Christian home, went to Sunday School and church every Sunday and was taught what it means to love Jesus at home. But it wasn't until I was eleven years old that I was saved in an evangelistic crusade. Obviously eleven is not old to come to know Jesus, but I'm sure my parents wondered what was taking so long(my sister gave her life to the Lord at 4 years old!). My point is, in spite of me being in all the right places and learning the right things, I still did not come to Christ until God opened my heart to Him and made Himself real to me.

I was also stopped in my tracks by the line, "Consume me."

Dave

Dave Groff said...

Is there a way to edit your own comments?

The line I mentioned at the end is

Like a runaway train.
You will consume me,

That's what God desires. It can be scary for us, but He is not content to just capture us. He wants to have all of us.

John K said...

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:28-29