Monday, 29 September 2008

More Than We Can Bear? No.

By now you may be familiar with this tragic story of Emily Stauffer, our pastor's daughter.
I have not said anything because, frankly, I really couldn't think of anything to say. Words eluded me. Having said that, it is wonderful to see the outpouring of heartfelt support in the comments on Pastor Terry's Blog

The full import of what happened did not hit me until church, Sunday morning. As I arrived and was greeted with tears by the ushers, and as I sat before the service just reading through some of the Psalms, I felt almost oblivious to what was going on around me. I felt, almost literally, as if I had been hit by a truck.

The one thing I know, having been through the loss of a child (in our case, a grandchild) is that, rather than being able to identify; to be able to say, "I know how you feel," I can only say, "I don't know how you feel. I can't." Nor can anybody else. Grief is so personal, and such deep grief is unfathomable.

But the verse that did come to me for them at the time is I Corinthians 10:13 God has promised that He will not allow us to be tested beyond what we can bear, but when we are, He will give us a way out so we can stand up under it. I didn't quote it to them, or post it in a comment, but I did appropriate it and pray it on his behalf.

How wonderful is God's word. How wonderful that it is true and valid whether or not we, in any particular situation, can actually say we believe it without a doubt at the moment and in the circumstance. And to be truthful, there may be some times when we have trouble accepting the actual truth of it. But it is true whether we can believe or not.

Some circumstances, in the intensity of a moment, may seem to be too much to bear. But for the Christian, they are not. If we think they are, we are wrong. And however long a moment, or even a millisecond of doubt may last; however fierce the enemy's fiery darts, God will indeed carry us through and prove His faithfulness.

These are my own thoughts. Far be it from me to apply them universally, or even specifically to this situation.

But in any case, and in all circumstances,

TGBTG

Take Care

No comments: