Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Pro Life, Pro choice

That is how I attempt to explain my position on abortion. I mentioned on a comment on another site that I would not enforce my pro-life stance on anyone, and I guess my position might require some clarification. What I meant was that although I am personally against abortion, and could never counsel anyone to have one, I would also not forbid the procedure to any woman who did want one, even though I believe it is unquestionably the taking of a human life.

Abortion is not illegal in Canada. And that is according to the will of successive governments. We live in a democracy, where the government reflects the will of the majority of the citizens. Not only do we get the government we vote for (some would say the government we deserve), we get the government that it is God's will for us to have (eg. Romans 13). No government, however good or evil, has any power that God does not allow it. That means that people like Morgantaler have the right to provide abortions and women who want them have the right to undergo them. Is it the taking of a life? Yes. Is it wrong? Absolutely yes. I believe that we as Christians have the obligations to speak out against them, to try to get others to see the wrong in them, but we don't have the right to prevent them when the majority of citizens seem (and I'm afraid I believe they are) in favour of them.

Personally, I couldn’t counsel abortion in ANY case, including rape, incest or even the danger to life of the mother, and I really don’t believe any woman who truly trusts God and seeks His will in the matter could have one. To put things into perspective, ask anyone to choose between their own life and that of one of their children. A life yet unborn is still no less a life than an infant, a toddler, or an older child. What would be the answer?

But I believe every little baby who has lost it's life through abortion is with Jesus right now. And every woman who has sacrificed those lives, and every abortion provider who took them will see them again. Those who have come to a saving relationship with God through Jesus Christ will join them. Those who reject this offer of salvation will be judged by them (1 Corinthians 2,3)

Again, I quote from Revelation 22,
Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy. Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

We live in an age of Grace. God has given everyone the freedom to make choices. Evil may seem to flourish for a season, but those choices will not go unjudged forever.

Take Care

PS: I hesitated to post this, wondering, after some thought, about the consistency of my position. In other words, if one saw a child in danger, would one not do one's best to safe its life? What, for instance, is the difference between rescuing a child from being hit by a truck and preventing an abortion? I can't really give a consistent answer. Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

David Jenkins said...

John,
If I understand your argument, it is that, while you believe abortion to be wrong under any circumstance, since we live in a democracy that allows abortion, people have a right to exercise that freedom - a freedom which democracy has granted them.

It seems to me that the problem with your position is that Christendom, its resultant democracy and derived rights are entirely dependant on the gospel: it is the bedrock of Western Civilisation, remove it and the whole thing will collapse like a house of cards - the start of which I believe we are witnessing. A 'right' is really a moral presumption; in this case, it is a moral presumption which is intent upon kicking away the ladder on which it rests.

John K said...

I agree, David. I think we are indeed seeing the beginning of the disintegration of our western society. Many of the benefits we still enjoy are merely the, "borrowed capital" of a society once built on a Christian foundation. People today seem so intent to flee from this foundation, insistent on selfishly claiming their so-called rights, almost with tunnel vision, ignoring the greater good. I think of someone out in the middle of the ocean, in a wooden boat, with a shotgun, shooting holes in its bottom.

That having been said, I believe Christianity will grow and thrive in other areas of the world and those areas will be blessed in the future as we have been in the past.