Saturday, 12 July 2008

Here is what our daughters are hearing

I Kissed a Girl (And I Liked It)- Katy Perry

This song is all the rage on the pop charts right now. I didn't post the video because I found it even less suitable for its intended audience than the lyrics.
This was never the way I planned, not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand lost my discretion
It's not what I'm used to just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you caught my attention

chorus:
I kissed a girl and I liked it. The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it, I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, It felt so right, don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it. I liked it.

No, I don't even know your name, it doesn't matter
You're my experimental game, just human nature
It's not what, good girls do; not how they should behave
My head gets so confused, hard to obey

chorus

Us girls we are so magical; soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable, too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent

This sexualization of young girls is not new, of course. My own two daughters were at the young and impressionable 'tween and early teen years early in Madonna's career. Madonna was one of the first artists to so blatantly, by her music lyrics and her videos, apply what I always felt was undue and premature sexual pressure on teen and pre-teen girls. One of the greatest jokes of irony, in my opinion, has been Madonna's joining the fight against AIDS, all the while promoting, by her words, actions, songs and videos, the very behaviour that most greatly leads to its spread. But she just doesn't get it. Her message seems hardly to have been diluted by time or maturity. Her videos are as blatantly sexual now as ever, in spite of her getting, "religion."

But Madonna and her "religion?" That's for another post.

Take Care

1 comment:

Jonathan D. Groff said...

I saw this performance on "So You Think You Can Dance" the other night (which is where I'm guessing you first heard it?) and was appalled by it. But what really got to me was when I was driving in the car with my family and my 5 year old daughter started singing it. I had just realized it was on and was going to change the station and she had already picked up the tune and the words. The station was changed and a brief conversation had.

I realize I can't protect my kids from everything in the world, but I can sure try.