Monday, 14 July 2008

Giving Liberally?

From Here...
Ananias and Sapphira Must Have Been Liberals (Acts 5)

Liberals are generous with other people's money, and they make their generosity known at the polling places. And, having voted for the next in an endless series of proposed social programs, they brush their hands together as though they have done their duty. This is their equivalent of saying "I gave at the office," although what they really did at the office was vote for someone else at the office to give...

...But the data shows (actually, mountains of data show) that conservatives are overwhelmingly more generous to the needy than liberals. Conservatives donate far more money than liberals do, and when you examine the recipients that each donating group is likely to select, you see that liberals are far more likely to give to arts groups, film festivals, or museums -- at wine and brie fundraisers -- while conservatives are far more likely to give to medical missions, hurricane relief, etc.

Liberals are like Ananias and Sapphira -- they wanted to have the reputation of being far more generous than they were actually willing to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that conservative Christians are more generous givers than liberal ones. In fact, I would be almost positive they are. Why? There are probably many reasons, but I will hazard one guess. I think it follows point by point.
1) They see themselves as basically good, rather than inherently sinful.
2) Therefore they don't feel so great a need for forgiveness.
3) Hence they have less appreciation of the meaning of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.
4) They don't have a full realization of just how great a debt has been paid on their behalf.
5) So they are not as thankful as a person who realizes the greatness of God's grace.
6) Giving is a sign of both obedience and gratitude, and the liberal feels obligated on neither count.

Just my take on it.

Take Care

3 comments:

Dave Groff said...

I think you're right in your reasoning. The more we are aware of our sin, the more we are eager for Christ's forgiveness; the more we are forgiven, the more we love(and give) in return!

Luke 7:44-47
"And turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, 'Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears, and wiped them with her hair. You gave Me no kiss; but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss My feet. You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with perfume. For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

Warren said...

I've also read that, with respect to charitable donations, Americans are much more generous than Canadians.

John K said...

I guess that just proves that Canadians are more liberal than Americans.