Sunday, 1 June 2008

Malachi 2:17

We are all familiar with Jesus' words according to Matthew,
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

I would not presume to declare who will be among that literally God-forsaken group. That will be up to only the Lord Himself. We only know there will be some.

But this particular bit of teaching stuck out for me during our Sunday morning adult class on the book of Malachi. In the 17th verse of the second chapter the prophet says,
You have wearied the LORD with your words. "How have we wearied him?" you ask. By saying, "All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them" or "Where is the God of justice?"

One day we will all have to stand before our Lord, Saviour and King. I believe that many who seem to have discounted the word of God in favour of feelings and experience, might respond, "How have we wearied him?"

And they will hear,
By saying, "All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them"

The meaning of the next few words
"Where is the God of justice?"
are more difficult to discern, but let me give my own possible interpretation as it might apply to all of the Body of Christ. Perhaps it refers to the fact that we all tend to turn to God and demand justice when we feel persecuted. Perhaps we should rather get past all that and be concerned solely with doing God's will. Perhaps both sides in the current disputes in the Canadian Anglican church are dwelling too long on bricks and mortar. Perhaps one side needs just to walk away and get on with doing what God has commanded us to do -- making disciples.

Take Care

1 comment:

The Nicky said...

Calls for God's justice always leave a sense of dread in me...what if He came and gave us our just rewards?!? I much prefer God's mercy and grace to His justice; I am more than content to allow Him to deal with things according to His will, not my own sense of wounded pride.