Wednesday, 21 May 2008

The Jesus of Scripture

Lately we have heard references to the "Jesus of Scripture," by those who would have the church bless homosexual relationships. They seem to claim that Jesus would have agreed with them. Unfortunately, THE Jesus of Scripture is not THEIR Jesus of Scripture.

A favourite argument is the phrase taken, I believe, from the Anglican Book of Alternative Services (although I could be wrong in this), "Jesus welcomes sinners and invites them to his table." This, I believe, is based on Luke 15:2,
But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them."

This is then extended to mean that Jesus approved of sinners and did not judge them. But these people only consider half the case. This verse in in the context of the repentance of sinners. In verse 7 of the very same chapter Jesus says,
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
In Luke 5:32 Jesus tells his whole purpose in associating with those thought of by society as sinners,
"...I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

These people will quote Jesus as saying to the woman taken in adultery (John chapter 8),
"Neither do I condemn you..."
but neglect the rest of his sentence,
"...go and sin no more."

Would Jesus have done this woman a service; would he have shown himself kind and loving if he had said, "That's OK. Just go on living as you want. It doesn't matter"?

No. That would have been the ultimate disservice.

Take Care

6 comments:

Dave Groff said...

Someone somewhere said Jesus invites us to come as we are, sin and all, but loves us too much to leave us that way. The only way we can come to Him is as a sinner, but as you said, what a terrible disservice it would be if He would just leave us that way!

sameo416 said...

I had that John 8 discussion with a liberal seminary collegue. The first part of the sentence was quoted to me, and I replied - you've left the second part of the verse off. When I read it she said, "It really says that? I've never heard that before."

And I thought - ah ha, now I understand why we're in a crisis of belief as a community.

Warren said...

sameo416, since it would appear that the Bible is not studied in liberal seminaries, I'm curious as to what is?

John K, I'm a Firefox user, and the comment feature does not work properly on your blog. The popup box is too small and cannot be resized. Accordingly, I have to type half my comment without seeing what I'm typing (which makes spelling corrections difficult). I tried IE (which I hate to use) and things worked normally. Do you have any idea where the problem lies?

John K said...

Warren,
As Sgt Schultz used to say, "I know nothing." Maybe there's an answer out there somewhere. Hopefully I can find it. All I can say is I'm glad we're saved by grace, not by works of computer knowledge. :)

Warren said...

John K, at the least the comment box problem acts as an incentive for me to keep my comment short.

I don't know how long you have been in Edson, but I've been meaning to ask if you've ever bumped into my uncle, Ed Schalm? He's been there a long time and I think he worked as a parts man at an auto dealer. I grew up in Salmon Arm, but left many years ago. I now live in Southern Ontario courtesy of the Air Force.

John K said...

Warren,
Well, I guess this all goes into the small world department. I looked up your uncle in the phone book. I would say that he lives about 5 minutes away, except that this is Edson, AB, so that would be a redundant statement. Everybody lives 5 minutes away.

I don't know him, but I will see if I know anybody who does. You say you grew up in Salmon Arm. If you have read my testimony, you willknow that I acknowledged Jesus as my Saviour and Lord in Salmon Arm. I grew up in Southern Ontario, but not near any Air Force base, and now live in Alberta, courtesy of a U-Haul truck that wouldn't do over 8o kpm downhill.