Sunday, 11 March 2007

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought...

I don’t know whether this actually took place, or if it falls into the category of “urban legend,” but for what it’s worth…

“This is an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the U.S. Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95:
Americans: ‘Please divert your course 15 degrees the North to avoid a collision.’
Canadians: ‘Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south.’
Americans: ‘This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert your course.’
Canadians: ‘No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.’
Americans: ’THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE TAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.’
Canadians: ‘This is a lighthouse. Your call’”

Relevant Scripture:
“But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.” (1 Cor 1:27-29, NIV)

or

Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. (Psalm 2, KJV)


I wondered for a while why both these Scriptures came to mind. How could I explain what I thought was the connection. Then I supposed that they both speak to the arrogance of those who may think of themselves, “more highly than they ought.” (Rom 12:3)

Take Care

No comments: