Friday, 16 February 2007

Net Zero Housing

I just received an e-mail from a friend from St Paul’s in Edmonton, Gordon Howell. He is a professional engineer, a brother in Christ, who has long been concerned with environmental issues and, in particular, energy efficient housing and construction. His team has just received an award in a national competition sponsored by the CMHC. You can read about it here in the Edmonton Journal. (Edited to add: Sorry reader(s). I just realized that the linked article is not available without a subscription. Believe me, I am not trying to shill for the Edmonton Journal! It was originally printed in the Feb 14 edition. Here is another link.)
His e-mail reads, in part:

“In my view this project is 'merely' integrating my faith into my
professional area of life... It's about having dominion over (taking
care of) God's creation.

I have heard that a leader is someone who causes others to take
effective action (that means we are all called to be leaders). The
purpose of this house is exactly that -- to show people that God has
given us the resources to do much more than we think is
possible. ('I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.')…”

The home is called the Riverdale NetZero Project. Its web site is at
www.riverdalenetzero.ca.

Take Care

1 comment:

stauf46 said...

That's cool!

Christians need to be leaders, not just "Christianize" ("stick a fish on it" in the venacular) the same old things for the Christian ghetto.

Kudos to believers who are making a difference in politics, the media, entertainment industries and all walks of life, like your friend Gordon in engineering.

Gene Veith has a neat book entitled "God at Work" that I really appreciated.