Tuesday, 19 December 2006

Why This Blog?

You probably don’t know this, but I am world’s worst evangelist. It’s not every day one has the opportunity to be in the presence, so to speak, of the world’s best or the world’s worst of something, but today you have that distinction. I have great difficulty communicating my faith to others I meet, whether socially, at work, in my neighbourhood or even in my own family. When I am by myself I can always think of exactly what I will say, and the cleverest way to say it, to anyone I know or meet who needs to know the LORD. But when the time comes, when I actually have the opportunity to tell someone about the good news of Jesus Christ, I spend so much time waiting for exactly the right moment to say exactly the right thing that the opportunity passes, or so I convince myself.

I have spent most of my working life in sales of one kind or another, but I’ve never been comfortable making cold calls, or selling something that I don’t think people really want. I always say I would make a lousy insurance salesman. My way of selling has always been to have a product I believe is the best on the market and represent it enthusiastically to people who approach me to find out about it. At the risk of mixing the profane with the Holy, this is almost how it is with me and my Christian faith. I like, first, to consider well what I am trying to express, and to be well rehearsed in my presentation.

One of the opportunities for evangelism I particularly enjoyed has been my involvement in the Alpha Course. I participated in this course in both church and prison settings for ten years, and it gave me the opportunity to discuss matters of faith with people who were there specifically to hear. I also feel more confident writing at a keyboard than in a face-to-face situation. It gives me the opportunity to consider, reconsider and edit what I want to say.

So that brings me back to the title of this post and the purpose for this blog site. I have many thoughts to express (they are always bouncing around in my head looking to get out), and the best way I can express them is in writing. In a sense, I am writing to an audience of no one in particular, or even an audience of no one at all. I may be talking to myself, but anyone who happens by is welcome to eavesdrop. Perhaps, Lord willing, someone will stumble in here and be blessed by what they read.

Take Care,

No comments: